Saturday, March 10, 2012

Teriyaki Tofu Red Pepper and Pineapple Kebobs with Pineapple-Ginger Elixir

I woke up this morning to the sun shining bright with clean fresh WARM air. It instantly filled me with happiness and I thought what better way to spend th day than by making some warm weather food! What's more summer-y than kebobs with a fresh rum drink. So after a slight setback in that I had forgotten my debit card at home, (whoops) I came home with the ingredients for my summer feast.

I opened the windows and put on some tunes and made the kebobs hassle and mistake-free (I know, I don't know how I   did it either.)

Then I made the elixir. I was a little hesitant looking at the ingredients list (cayenne pepper and cinnamon), but Vegetarian Times hasn't lead me astray yet, unlike the Food Network Magazine (Coffee in chili you say!) It took a lot of work, you have to strain the pulp from the juice. But man, was it a tasty beverage. especially with the nice dash of rum I added.

When it was all said and done, this was a delicious feast. The teriyaki glaze was delicious on the tofu and pineapple and my all time favorite: Red pepper. I took it outside with some extra crunchy chips, my elixir and a 312. Sophie Karen sat on the back porch with me stalking the squirrels as I ate with my lazy summer playlist on. It was an amazing afternoon.

Ingredients for Kebobs:


  • 1 14-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 18 cubes
  • 1/2 large pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 12 3/4-inch cubes
  • 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 12 pieces
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup mirin
  • 1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
  • 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
  • 2 tsp. maple syrup
  • 1 pinch red pepper flakes
  • 2 tsp. arrowroot powder


Directions for Kebobs:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Thread each of 6 bamboo skewers with 3 cubes tofu, 2 cubes pineapple, and 2 pieces bell pepper, and place in baking dish.

2. Simmer soy sauce, mirin, oil, ginger, garlic, maple syrup, and red pepper flakes 3 minutes in skillet over medium heat.

3. Combine arrowroot and 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. cold water in bowl. Add to skillet, and simmer 2 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken. Pour sauce over kebabs, and bake 20 minutes, turning once to keep kebabs coated in sauce.



Katie's Notes: I cut this in half, but still kept thfull T of ginger and both garlic cloves. I love garlic and ginger.




elixir Ingredients:

  • 4 cups fresh pineapple cubes
  • 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
  • 1/4 cup light coconut milk, optional
  • 2 1/2 Tbs. lime juice
  • 2 Tbs. pure maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom or allspice
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
  • 4 1/2-inch-thick pineapple rings and/or lime wedges, for garnish

elixir Directions:


1. Purée pineapple cubes, ginger, and 1/2 cup water in blender until smooth. Strain through fine-meshed strainer into bowl, stirring with spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard pulp, and return liquid to blender.

2. Add coconut milk (if using), lime juice, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, and cayenne (if using) to blender; blend until smooth. Serve over ice, and garnish with pineapple rings and/or lime wedges

Katie's Notes: I for sure added a nice splash of rum. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment